Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Steampunk Dolls Battle Soul Suckers, Artist, Michele Lynch by Maeve Alpin

I’m waving my arms enthusiastically, to artist, Michele Lynch. “Welcome aboard the airship.”
Her mix media art, art dolls, tree toppers, ornaments, jewelry, paintings and so much more are incredible. Not only the art itself, but I also love what she writes about them.”The soul sucker mix media dolls or sculptures started after I took a full time job with the soul sucker corporation. I find myself still running from the soul sucker even though I no longer work for that corporation.”
Michele Lynch's Steampunk Souls
Michele Lynch's Steampunk Souls
Michele jumps across the gaping space between the dock and airship, landing onboard, facing me with a sunny smile.
“I am also devoted to escaping the soul suckers, so I had to have you aboard.” I show her into the parlor where she eases onto the cushioned settee with lion head legs and claw feet.
I plop down on the chenille upholstered armchair and lean toward her. “You also wrote, ‘Our story begins in a far away land where a steampunk princess ruled her kingdom with creativity and kindness, but a soul sucker invaded her kingdom feeding off the souls, and letting loose his Shoulds and Regrets. Enslaving the people and holding the princess prisoner in his tower, the castle of corporation.’ And your art work tells the story from there.  I love stories and it fascinates me when they are told in means other than words, such as with your fabulous art. Why did you choose this particular art?” What draws you to mix media, especially art dolls?”
Red
Red
Michele laces her fingers together as she rest them on her lap. “I think it chose me. I had a long drive to the castle of corporation every day, and time to think about how evil the Soul Sucker was. I began to imagine a rebellion and what those souls would look like. I could clearly see them in my mind, until I knew I had to create them. I love mixed media because it's not limiting. I can incorporate all the different skills I've learned over the years.”
The engine purrs and the china teacups on the coffee table rattle as the airship begins lift off. “What inspired you to take your art in a Steampunk direction?”
Michele grabs the settee with one hand as the airship gains altitude. “When I envisioned the steampunk soul rebellion, I saw them with mechanical parts to them. I'm not sure where that inspiration came from! But I have always loved movies that had that slight Steampunk feel to them.”
Nevermore
Nevermore
Now that the tea cups cease rattling, I lean toward the coffee table and lifting the blue willow tea pot, I pour Michele a cup of steaming tea.“In addition to being an exquisite artist you are a genuine muse. I can’t imagine any author looking at your art dolls and art and not having them trigger story premises and plots. I have to ask you the question that is always asked of writers, how do you come up with your ideas?”
She lifts the porcelain teacup and takes a dainty sip. “A movie plays in my head with these characters and for some reason they come to me and tell me their story. After that it's up to me to give them life. I try to live up to that task!”
“That is exactly what a writer experiences when they create characters, from that point on we are committed to tell their story. To bring them to life. Your dolls do an incredible job of bringing these characters you create in your mind alive. How did you learn this amazing type of art?”
“I am self taught. I have always had a passion for learning new techniques and trying different medias.” Michele reaches her slender fingers between the plate of sliced lemons and the spouted creamer cup of milk to the sugar bowl. Picking up a white cube, she plunks it into her tea
I brim my tea cup with steamy tea. “Of all your wonderful creations, which is your favorite?”
Rose Red & Snow White
Rose Red & Snow White
“I think it's always the current one that I've just finished! So right now it's Rose Red & Snow White.” Michele picks up a polished silver spoon and stirs her tea, creating a tiny maelstrom in the cup.
I took a sip of my earl grey. “Is it hard to part with your dolls when someone buys them, it seems it would be?”
“Actually it's not for me. I usually make a connection with the person buying the piece and I know they are going to a wonderful home where they will be loved.”
“I ‘m sure that’s the case. It’s hard to look at your art dolls and not fall in love with them.” I place the cup on my saucer with a soft clink. “Do you usually sketch your art out before beginning your work? What’s your creative process?”
“I do usually sketch out the pieces, however most of the time it is a loose sketch and I know things will change as I go along.” Michele sets the teaspoon behind her cup on the saucer. “I figure out most of the piece in advance so I know how to begin constructing it. Also the clay I work with dries pretty quickly so I need to know the direction I'm going before I begin sculpting. Although like I said that can change along the way.”
“The similarities between literary and visual art are so intriguing. To put your process in writing terms it’s like you plot the work out but leave room for an element of surprise like a combination of a plotter and a panster.” I pick up my cup and saucer and breathe in the subtle, aromatic scent of the tea. “Do you sketch or doodle your ideas in an art journal to as they come to you?”
Michele brings her teacup from her saucer to her parted lips and draws in a long sip. “I use a basic recycled sketch paper book. I usually date the page and also put the name of the file I use from my computer that is the finished photo of the piece. I keep all of the books and it's fun to look back on the original sketch and how it evolved. Besides the sketches I also jot down ideas in the book.”
“You work in all these different artistic areas jewelry, dolls, paintings and more. What is your favorite?”
Wanted
Wanted
“My favorite depends on my mood lol, which is why I do so many different expressions of the Steampunk Souls. I never get burnt out on doing the same thing!”
Picking up a slice of lemon, I breathe in the sunny, citrus scent as I squeeze a drop of its juice into my cup. I slip the yellow slice into the light brown tea. “Are there different challenges between creating the sculptures of art dolls and creating jewelry or paintings? What are some of the challenges?”
“I think the dolls are more challenging, the armature needs to be able to support the doll and the pieces that I incorporate. Since there isn't usually any symmetry the doll has to balance. There is also always the challenge of making the doll pose-able.” Michele set her empty cup on her blue willow saucer.
“It can imagine there is a lot of hard work involved in sculpturing the art dolls, especially since they have to be pose-able.“ I lift the tea pot and pour her a fresh cup. “How long have you worked as an artist?”
Liza - Octopus Girl
Liza - Octopus Girl
“Oh wow, I think at least 10 years? Maybe longer. But it wasn't until 2010 that I found my true style. It was this year, 2012, that I was able to make the leap to full time artist.”
“How wonderful. Working as a full time artist is quite an accomplishment. How long does it usually take to create a Steampunk art doll?”
“This is a tough question because it depends on the piece I'm doing. Some simmer in my mind for a while, and some come to me fully formed and demanding to be created immediately. From there it takes me anywhere from 3 days to a week to complete a doll.”
With my tea now cooled, I take a generous gulp. “I can appreciate what hard and steady work it takes to create your art dolls in such a prompt time period. What advice do you have for artist interested in working with art dolls and mixed media?”
“Do what is in your heart, don't try to mimic someone else. When you do this your true style will emerge and your creative heart will sing!”
“Wise and heartfelt advice.” My cup makes a soft clinking sound as I set it in its saucer on the mahogany coffee table. “What do your family, your children, and your husband think of your art?”
Don't Tell
Don't Tell
“LOL, they think my imagination is a very scary place!”
“I think so too. I love it. Speaking of family and children, how young were you when you first became involved in art?”
“I have been involved with art since I can remember. My mom always bought me paints, clay, crayons, etc…there was no other gift that I loved more, besides books!”
I lean back and set my forearms on the cushioned armrest, getting comfortable. “Speaking of books, do you like Steampunk literature, if so what is are some of your favorite books or authors?”
“I have to admit I'm new to reading Steampunk literature, and would love to know everyone’s favorite books and authors!”
“Yes, everyone please post your favorite Steampunk books in the comments for Michele Lynch, also the Lolita’s of steamed have written some interesting books, and we have a Steampunk reading list in the airship’s library . Michele, what are some things you'd like to say to your fans and prospective fans about your art?”
Fortune Teller
Fortune Teller
“I hope my artwork evolves some type of emotion in you and you can feel the characters personality in each piece, when that happens there is a connection between me and the person who purchases the artwork, and that is pure magic! There is nothing I love more!”
“You do an amazing job at creating an emotional connection to your art dolls, you truly bring them alive.” I glance at the coffee table at the sound of rattling and clinking. “I see the teacups are shaking. I know what that means, the airship is landing.
Michele grasps hold of the arm of the settee, bracing for the shaky landing.
My airship has landed so I say goodbye. But you can visit Michele Lynch anytime at her Website Etsy Blog Facebook Pinterest Please comment or ask questions below and please post list your favorite Steampunk books  for Michele Lynch,

No comments:

Post a Comment