Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Doktor A and The Mechtorians

Toy Maker Workshop
Toy Maker Workshop
Even though the airship has just docked, I feel like I’m floating, so excited to be on the airship when it has flown across the pond. I’ve just arrived in England. I wave my hand enthusiastically, to artist, Doktor A. “Welcome aboard the airship.” I hike up my skirt and stretch my short legs in a leap across the wide gap between the dock and the airship. “Watch your step,” I call to Doktor A as he follows me into the parlor. I gesture towards the chenille armchair with claw feet. Doktor A sinks into the large cushioned chair.
Then I plop down onto the crimson settee across from him. Enthused, my heart’s racing like a toddler ready for her favorite story at bedtime as I plead, “Please tell us the story of
your Mechtorians.”
Elder
Elder
Doktor A nods his head and begins the tale. “It was during a Cricket match, one balmy afternoon in the summer of 1897, that Professor Maximillian Whistlecraft was informed of England's forthcoming destruction. His friend and fellow tinkerer at the outer boundaries of science and engineering, one Herbert Wells, had just returned from a brief jaunt into the near future through the use of his Extraordinary Temporal Conveyancer, and had a shocking tale to relate. In only a few short years hence the green and pleasant land of good old Blighty would be overrun by a dastardly Martian invasion force, the likes of which could barely be comprehended. As part of the invasion, Herbert had witnessed the razing of his friend's own residence near Horsell Common and had hastened at the earliest opportunity to warn the good fellow to the impending danger." Doktor A raises his voice to speak over the clang and grind of the airship as we take off.
Amnesia
Amnesia
Self Made Man
Self Made Man
"Professor Whistlecraft had several years to make safe his home and family before the interplanetary scourge descended. He considered simply moving house, but could not bare to pass his doom to another poor unsuspecting soul. And from this initial conviction he vowed to save not just himself but the whole of the English populace. He concluded the best way to achieve this was not to engage the wretched invaders in battle but simply move everybody out of their way." As he continues the story, Doktor A grabs the armrests with both hands, while the airship lifts off.
"Luckily his previous scientific researches and engineering dabblings had uncovered a way to instantaneously move objects and persons from one place to another. He concluded that with a Translation Engine of a suitable size and power he might move everything in England out of harms way. He consulted books, talked with eminent Astronomers, Geologists and Botanists and decided that the best destination would be a small blue green planet circling a star at the edges of the visible galaxy. He was assured this would be a world much like the Earth we know, but with the additional bonus that due to a peculiarity of its orbit it would have two tea-times.
He realized that he could not expect the good people of England to abandon all they knew for some strange new world on the strength of a single man's word, no matter how honorable the gentleman. So he concluded that a mechanized workforce should be sent ahead to build all that the future inhabitants would expect of a decent English society, in order to ease their transition.
Shutterburg
Shutterburg
To this end he re-fitted a number of his automated servants, built some new ones and gave them all careful instructions on what to do at their destination. He also tutored his mechanical creations in methods to create more like themselves, to fit whatever purpose was required of them. He sent them off on the eve of the new century to build a new Empire among the stars and await his arrival.
He never came.
Two hundred years later they have never known the fate of their creator and his people. But they go on doing what he instructed. Building a bigger and better and more decent society for all Mechtorians and for all those who may, some day, still arrive.”
“I love that." I have to ask does this
Asphyx Engine
Asphyx Engine
small blue green planet circling a star at the edges of the visible galaxy exist in your head from time to time, do you find yourself thinking about some of the Mechtorians you’ve created, do you wonder about what they’re up to?"
“I never stop thinking about Mechtorians. They are always alive in the back of my head. Their daily going on ticking away moment by moment. Sometimes they interrupt my life in ways that lead to new ideas for artworks.”
The dainty china cups cease rattling on the tea table as our airship glides smoothly pass the clouds. “What happened to Professor Maximillian Whistlecraft? He worked so hard to set up this wonderful world on another planet so all his fellow Englishmen could be saved." I pick up the teapot and pour my guest a cup of Earl Grey. "Do you have any idea of his fate and that of his fellow countrymen?”
Lilies On Stage
Lilies On Stage
"The Martian invasion was famously unsuccessful so the plan to relocate everyone to a new home became redundant." Doktor A reaches out to take the cup of tea resting on its saucer. "I suspect the professor may have received a knock to the head at some point during an escape from a Martian war machine or something and this made him forget what he had set in motion...or possibly the transmat machine in his studio was destroyed in the last days of the invasion thus making travel to the new homeward impossible. Good job it wasn't needed after all." He takes a sip of steamy tea then sets it and its saucer on the tea table.
“I love the names you’ve given your characters, such as Montague Grimshaw, Amnesia Primm, and Baron Von Bosch, as well as the bios you’ve created about each one. I know this is a difficult question to answer, but which character is your favorite?"
"I don't have any favorites really. I like many different characters for different aspects. Some of the earlier ones like Stephan LePodd I think I may never match in their surrealness. Others like "The Self Made Man" or "Harry K. Nidd" represent leaps in technical achievement for me so become important milestones in my body of work." Doktor A reaches between the plate of sliced lemons and the spouted creamer of milk to the sugar bowl. Picking up a white cube, he plunks it into his tea.
Perambulator
Mr. Pumfrey and his Astounding Mechanized Perambulator
"Please tell us more about one of your newest toys, Mr. Pumfrey and his Astounding Mechanized Perambulator. What is the inspiration behind it? What does Mr. Pumfrey actually do with his Mechanized Peramblator?" I brim my teacup full and as the tendrils of steam rise, I take a dainty sip.
"The origins of the toy came from two roots. I did a painting called "Mr. Pumfrey takes a Midnight Jaunt". Which had a small fellow riding a large tripodic type machine with worm like tentacles in the front of it. Later I did an ink drawing which was a bit of a riff on one of Jeff Soto's infamous walkers. The drawing became a small run print edition for Dragon Con in Atlanta. Munky King toys in L.A contacted me to see if I was interested in producing an art-toy with them. They were particularly interested in doing some sort of robot driving another robot. I showed them the drawing and they loved it so I drew up some blueprints to make it possible as a three-dimensional object." Doktor A picks up a silver spoon and dipping it into his teacup, swishes it side to side. "The original painting had the tag line 'Mr. Pumfrey is looking for a wife. Anyone's wife will do!' so you may attach sinister connotations to that...Mr. Pumfrey may be up to no good."
"Oh my, that does sound quite sinister. It would be a great opening line for a book." I lift my teacup from the blue willow saucer as the aromatic scent of Earl Grey billows around me. "I have found such strong similarities in the way visual artist and literary artist think and work though the mediums seem so different. Have you ever put your characters and stories into a literary form or do you have any desire to do so in the future?"
Blackwood
Blackwood
"I haven't really intended to do that, however each character has their own small biography written about them and over the years (I started making them in 2005) the back stories have cross referenced each other and woven a quite intricate patchwork picture of life in Retropolis. Maybe someone will one day take those snippets and expand them into a more formal narrative."
"You work in different art mediums: drawing, painting, sculpture and toys, in 2D, and 3D art. What challenges do you find in working with such different mediums and what is your favorite medium to work in?”
"I get bored easily doing one thing all the time to like to switch things out now and then by working in different mediums. It keeps things interesting for me. I feel most at home doing dimensional work. I was trained as an Industrial Modelmaker, so this sort of think is what I feel I do best." Doktor A lifts and tilts his teacup to his lips as he takes a long sip.
Harry Full Door
Harry Full Door
"How young were you when you first became involved in models or in art?" I take a long swallow of my tea, savoring the taste.
"The first thing I can recall sculpting was a Zygon from Doctor Who, in Plasticene when I was about 5 years old. I have always made models and robots and monsters."
"Did model making and art always run together for you in some way or was there a period of time in which you went from model or toy maker to artist?" I set my cup back on it's saucer on the tea table with a soft clink.
"I don't see the difference. I do what I have always done. It's just now other people call what I do Art."
Maxwell & Hugo
Maxwell & Hugo
"Speaking of art and your art, it’s amazing how many brilliant artists in the Steampunk community are drawn to unusual mediums for their serious art such as snow globes and water globes, stained glass, dolls, and in your case toys." Picking up a slice of lemon, I breathe in the sunny, citrus scent as I squeeze a drop of its juice into my cup. I slip the yellow slice into the light brown tea. "What drew you to the medium of toys to create whimsical yet serious art?"
"I was trained as an Industrial Modelmaker. I worked in the mainstream toy world for many years as a "Ble-sky" designer and prototyper for the big toy companies. I have always loved and collected toys and models. It was a natural outlet for my artistic leanings and one which, luckily for myself, has in recent years been accepted as a legitimate art form." With his tea now cooled, Doktor A took a generous sip.
Bella Snow Standoff
Bella Snow Standoff
"Do you usually sketch your art out before beginning your sculptures, paintings and toys? What is your creative process?”
"My characters are generated in one of three ways. I either come up with the written biography of the character and then work out what they look like in rough sketches or ink drawings and then build them. Or I sketch a character and then start to piece together the physical sculpture, all the time altering and refining, at this stage the personality of the piece starts determining their story. Or I find a particular item or piece of junk which inspires the whole creation, look, story and all."
"It's always interesting to learn about the artistic procesess for different artist. What about an artist notebook, do you use one to sketch ideas at odd moments of the day or night?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC1CoTTJbMM
"My sketchbooks are a mess. Nothing like finished drawings. Just thinking on paper. Notes and snippets to remind myself of ideas, or scratchy little diagrams working out ways to physically achieve something.. They are not really meant for other people's eyes." He sets his teacup on it's saucer on the tea table.
"Sounds a lot like my rough drafts." I lean forward. “This may be hard to answer but in each piece of your art work, especially in your 3D work, sculptures and toys, you are able to convey an emotion people can connect with, do you have any idea how you do that?”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISfjNrXy-c
“No idea. I think it's the Japanese Shinto philosophy that says an artist or craftsman puts a little piece of their soul into each thing they make...that's the nearest I can come to an answer.” With his forearms on the cushioned armrest, Doktor A leans back, getting comfortable.
“I fully agree with that philosophy." I drink the last of my tea. "For any artist interested in taking their art in a toy direction what advice would you give them?”
“These days I would say do it yourself. Teach yourself how to make silicone rubber moulds and cast in resins and make some toys yourself. Show them around. Put them online, photos on social media sites and the resins on Etsy or Ebay. Take a booth at a convention like Designer Con in L.A. or Dragon Con in Atlanta and shout about what you do... and keep doing it, a lot! It's the only way to get better at it. Show your work to toy companies, if they like it you may get something produced by one. But self made toys are just as legitimate these days as company produced pieces. The art-toy world is a very "grass roots" type of place. If you are good you will find an audience. If you are not good, then stick with it until you are good.”
"Great advise." I set my teacup on the table. “Since this is Steamed, I have to ask, do you read Steampunk fiction and if so what are some of your favorite books or authors?”
“Not really. I have read H.G.Wells etc of course. I read "The Difference Engine" when it was originally published. Other than that it's only really the "Larklight" trilogy which I actually picked up on the strength of the illustrations. Although does Hellboy count?”
"Hell yes, Hellboy counts." I couldn't resist that little play on words." I lace my fingers together and rest them on my lap. “What are somethings you’d like to say to your fans and prospective fans about your art?”
“I am jolly pleased and perpetually thankful that what I do resonates with so many people. It's because of the support of my collectors that I can do what I do in a full time capacity. I hope each new thing I create makes people all over the world smile. And that some of the pieces make the odd person stop and think about the ways we see and do things in today's "society".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddN9TtozFI
I hear rattling and clinking. I glance at the tea table and see the cups and saucers shaking. I know what that means, the airship is landing. I have time for some short questions. “When you’re not creating art what is your favorite leisure activity?”
“I don't have much time for leisurely activities. I watch movies when I can. I occasionally take time off making my model robots to relax by making a model robot (or monster) kit from someone else…Hmmmmm?”
Doktor A grasps hold of the armrests, bracing for the shaky landing.
“That makes sense, since that’s what you love to do. Let’s go from leisure to another favorite activity of mine, eating. You’re from England but you come to the states fairly often for shows. When in America, what is your favorite American style food?”
“That would be Root Beer. You can’t get it in the UK. Not the real, good, small brewery stuff.”
“Perhaps I should have served root beer rather than tea. Next time I’ll know.” I hold on to one arm of the setae as we dock again.
Though Doktor A must go, he has left calling cards for us.

website

Online store http://www.spookypop.bigcartel.com/
Facebook
Forum
Instagram: Doktor_A
~                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment